Re: [LAU] Arranging furniture in a room

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 19 2010 - 00:10:08 EEST

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 19:30:07 +0200 (CEST)
Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de> wrote:

> Hello all!
> I have the opportuinty to move all the furniture in my room, since it's
> being redecoarted. Now I wonder, if some of you might have tipps for an
> audiophile distribution of my room. :-)
> The room is 4 by 4 metres. There's a door in the left rear corner and a
> window (roughly 1.8m width and 1.6m height) in the middle of the front wall.
> Furniture to move: A big closet (2m), a bed (1x2m), a desk roughly 1.8m by 1m)
> which holds the speakers. That's the big stuff. There are of course a few
> synths to somehow get close to the desk and maybe another shelf 2m width.
> But would the general dimensions of the room and the basic set of furniture
> suggest a few does and don'ts. I guess the desk would sit well at the middle
> of one wall, because I usually sit there as well, when I do voice recordings.
> Song vocals I occasionally do somewhere else, but my microphone cable at the
> moment isn't very long. :-)
> So suggestions are welcome and very appreciated!
> Warm regards
> Julien
>
> --------
> Music was my first love and it will be my last (John Miles)

It might be worthwhile taking a wander over to the SOS forums.

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum

They're a very helpful bunch over there, and even knowing I'm a linuxian
haven't kicked me out yet :)

I have a nasty, small, odd shaped room where a conventional hi-fi sounds
horrible. Based on their recommendations I got a pair of relatively cheap
nearfield monitors and was staggered at the difference - to be effective they
really do need to be only about a metre away (at head height) in the classic
equilateral triangle configuration. I was expecting the improved HF detail - I
was not expecting the dramatic improvement in LF behaviour!

Hmmm,
Maybe someday I'll get around to their other recommendations :D

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk