Re: [LAU] vmx1000usb mixer linux usb support

From: Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 20 2010 - 04:00:26 EEST

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Paul Davis <paul@linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> its likely that you know this, but the feature set on a DJ mixer and
> regular mixer are pretty different.

Yes, DJ mixer's have Phono inputs, and a different cue/bus setup, and
a cross-fader, sometimes with adjustable slopes, conveniently placed
and rapidly acting cut switches, and somewhat sonorous eq section,
etc.... However, some of the best DJ's I've seen -- the true old
school -- used the Urei 1620 rotary mixer and dislike crossfaders....
FYI, this style of mixer appears to have been reissued:
http://www.ureidj.com/product_1620le.aspx -- so they can indeed be
different.

> "It's based upon an oxford chipset, so not really the same. I have
> reports that it sort-of works with FFADO. Mackie explicitly asked that
> the Linux users would make some noise. So you know what you'll have to
> do."

How should one make noise? I asked Linux questions in the conference
(see below) that were never answered nor presented later in the FAQ as
promised: http://downloads.mackie.com/2010/tracking/Tracking%20the%20Band%20FAQ.pdf

///// ///// ///// ///// ///// ///// ///// ///// ///// /////
///// /////

2010/10/19 Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@folkwang-hochschule.de>:
> the mackie onyx mixers mentioned before work great with linux and are pretty
> good, but might be over your needs and budget.

This is interesting news, though conflicting with "sort-of works with
FFADO" from device support section of ffado (above).

FYI, I attended a Mix Mag Web presentation (hoping to win the raffle
for the Onyx1640i) on this mixer and it looks quite interesting, from
a mixer design perspective -- e.g. input metering, PFL/AFL, and all
the other things we've argued about on LAU/LAD.

http://downloads.mackie.com/2010/tracking/index.html

http://w.on24.com/r.htm?e=235818&s=1&k=80AE41DB2AE1F6604D5F461998FF590A&partnerref=m
(skip the first 19 minutes, it's MixMag advertising expensive outboard
gear... but afterwards they show the mixer :-) )

> you could consider a nice audio interface that suits your needs and combine
> it with a good analogue mixer, such as a small allen&heath or soundcraft
> one, either of the dj or the f.o.h./studio type.

+1

-- Niels
http://nielsmayer.com