Re: [LAU] JACK message: ports used in attemped connection are not of the same data type

From: Jeremy Jongepier <autostatic@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 24 2010 - 22:13:33 EEST

On 10/24/2010 01:10 PM, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 10/23/2010 07:51 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Jeremy Jongepier
>> <jeremy@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> Anybody any clue what the following JACK message means?
>>>
>>> "ports used in attemped connection are not of the same data type"
>>
>> since JACK has only 2 data types at present, it implies that you were
>> trying to connect audio& MIDI ports.
>
> Hello Paul,
>
> That is the point, I wasn't doing that deliberately. This message
> appears with practically every audio connection I try to make. And I'm
> using QjackCtl which doesn't allow for making that kind of connections
> afaik.
> But at least I know what it means, thanks (pretty straighttforward
> though, should've figured it out myself). And indeed, easy to reproduce
> on the command line:
>
> jack_connect system:capture_1 yoshimi:midi\ in
>
> Results in a "ports used in attemped connection are not of the same data
> type" message (with a little typo). Now my question remains why it appears.
>
> Best,
>
> Jeremy

Problem solved. I have a QjackCtl start-up script for a2jmidid that ran
well with my other Focusrite card but the Saffire Pro 40 takes longer to
initialize. What happens now is that a2jmidid comes up before the audio
ports are created which causes these warnings. I've adapted my start-up
script to wait until the audio ports come up before starting up
a2jmidid. Works fine again. Thanks for the pointers everyone.

Best,

Jeremy