Re: [LAU] nama

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 25 2010 - 03:54:57 EEST

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 04:13:09AM +0400, alex stone wrote:
> I'd appreciate the help! Nama won't start unless i cd to the dir it's
> in, and i can only start it with
>
> perl Nama.pm

That's not quite enough to run Nama, but seems to be
enough to show your system has some configuration issues.

When you installed Nama, the install script is supposed to
create a script called 'nama'.

try this:

$ find /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin -name nama

FWIW, 'nama' is only a stub. So you could create your own.

--cut--
#!/usr/bin/env perl
use Audio::Nama;
Audio::Nama::main();
--cut--

> It then attempts to start, but crashes before i get anywhere
> near a gui.

Sweet Holy Mother, why are you running Nama if you want a
GUI?

Any reason to prefer it over something more mainstream
such as Audacity?

For some reason the first error you reported was much
closer to a running Nama that what you're talking
about now.

If you can get the program started at all,
and if you do decide you want Nama's GUI, you could
use cpan to install 'Tk', which you'll need for
GUI interaction.

(Be warned that Nama's GUI doesn't even have a waveform
display.)

Do you have an extra partition to install a user-friendly
distro like Debian or Ubuntu?

It might be easier to see if you even like Nama under one of
those environments. Typing

        apt-get install nama

is quite convenient. :-)

Then