Re: [LAU] nama

From: alex stone <compose59@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 25 2010 - 17:08:58 EEST

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 01:55:24PM +0400, alex stone wrote:
>> Joel, After a complete cleanout and start again, nama is up and running.
>>
>> I've used all ebuilds for the perl modules, and only used cpan for
>> nama itself. (Gentoo to the rescue....:) )
>
> Yes, it's generally smoother to install perl modules via
> distro method than using cpan, where that's possible.
>
> 'local::lib' is the new perl shiny for handling non-distro-
> supplied modules. It allows you to install them in a
> directory such as ~/perl5.
>
> That seems to be better than the historical /usr/local
> hierarchy, because
>
> - it allows multiple indepedent local libs
>  (for example to test or support specific apps)
> - modules can be installed using cpan without root permissions
>
> Digression
>
>       The only (slightly) fiddly thing is the initial bootstrap
>       phase. After you've installed local::lib
>
>        perl -Mlocal::lib -e 1  # sets up ~/perl5
>
>       Assuming installation in ~/perl5, you end up needing
>       to add the following lines to .bashrc
>
>        eval $(perl -I$HOME/perl5/lib/perl5 -Mlocal::lib) # everything but MANPATH
>        export MANPATH="/home/jroth/perl5/man/:$MANPATH"
>
>       Okay, and then re-initializing cpan client to install to the
>       new path.
>

>> This was an experiment to access the ecasound engine with something i
>> could manipulate fairly quickly as a user. Text mode is as useable as
>> a gui, so i have something to work with.
>
> Great, that's exactly what Nama seeks to provide.
>
>> Thanks for the clues, they helped.
>>
>> I'll ask the pro-audio overlay team if they can consider adding Nama
>> to the overlay, then it's even easier.
>
> Thanks! That would be a help, in which case I'd like to make
> sure they get the latest and greatest version. :-)
>
> Joel
>
>> Alex.
>
> --
> Joel Roth

Joel, off and running smoothly, with the git build of Nama (no, i'm
not getting cocky, i got lucky)

A quick note for you, the SPACE bar doesn't work when the GUI is open.
I can run the transport in GUI mode with weird stuff like CTRL+ALT,
and CTRL+SHIFT though, although this clashes with my much loved and
cared for Fluxbox keybinding set.

The text mode is good, and well laid out in terms of usability. (i.e.
i'm in qwerty heaven here) Lots of user mistakes, but the momentum is
forward at least. I'm still getting my head around recording multiple
wavs in a track (positioning the rec start time, etc) but that will
come.

I assume that any editing of a wav should occur in an external wav
editor like Rezound, but i ask if there's any non destructive
functions in Nama to add fade ins and outs, etc...

This also begs the next question, is there a means to create
automation for tracks as yet?

I'm off to explore some more, but this is very interesting to use, and
quite fast with a little practise.

Who needs X. Or a mouse....:)

Alex.

p.s. You're right. Ecasound is very stable. No problems here at all
once it was installed properly.

--
www.openoctave.org
midi-subscribe@email-addr-hidden