Re: [LAU] Sonivox

From: Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 27 2010 - 01:02:20 EEST

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Darrin Thompson <darrinth@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I didn't imagine that MIDI over ip would have good enough latency for
> getting work done. Pardon my ignorance but are you sending back the sampler
> playback via ip too?

Much better latency than serial MIDI... it's very fast over gigabit
ethernet. Audio is sent back via S/PDIF. Everything is synched to the
same MIDI clock anyway, and I'm not recording live audio at the same
time, so latency doesn't matter in this case.

> I was hoping to get away with LinuxSampler but your whole ipMIDI thing
> intrigues. One thing I liked about Sonivox libraries were the available
> DVI's with included effects which I assume are better for their bundled
> instrument than what I could find on my own.

I tend to record my samples dry and add reverb, EQ, etc, in the mixing stage.

> (I don't have a good Windows box handy but I do have an 18 month old
> iMac that should work well.)
>
> So should I imagine a universe where I run Sonivox cutesey DVIs on OSX and
> yank the audio back to Jack on Linux but not notice the latency?

There's also netjack, but it's a bit more complex to setup between
Windows and Linux, whereas QMidiNet -> ipMIDI is relatively painless.
Of course, I can't record more than one track at a time until I can
upgrade my Windows audio interface to use ADAT or similar (I have an
RME Multiface on Linux, it can support 8 analog inputs also, but on
Windows I am using a M-Audio FireWire solo and it only has 2 outputs.
Netjack would allow multiple channels of audio back over the ip
interface, however, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.electricminstrel.com