Re: [LAU] Introductory seq24 tutorial

From: Leigh Dyer <lsd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 27 2010 - 14:49:03 EEST

On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 14:55 +0400, Louigi Verona wrote:
> Hey Leigh!
>
> Thanks very much for this - for the first time I am looking at seq24
> and it works on Ubuntu 9.04! Wow!
> I am really happy!
>
> Will have to look at your tutorial now - for the moment seq24 does not
> appear in patchage, even when I tell it to connect to JACK.

It has a bit of an odd way of working with MIDI connections -- by
default, you have to do the routing inside seq24 itself. It'll connect
out to any ALSA MIDI app, but the connections won't show up inside an
app like patchage or QJackCtl.

There is another way to work, though -- you can start seq24 with the
"--manual_alsa_ports" option. When you do this, seq24 creates 16 ALSA
MIDI outputs. You can select which of these 16 outputs each pattern
sends data to, and these outputs appear in Patchage, etc., so you can
route them manually. seq24 remembers this option once it's been set
once, so to disable it, I think you have to edit its config file.

I find this method better for working with seq24, mainly because it
otherwise only remembers MIDI mappings by the ALSA MIDI port number,
which could easily be changed in the future just by starting your synths
in a different order.

I've also used this in the live setup I've been working on (which I
should probably document properly at some point!). I launch some synths,
Ardour (which I use just as a mixer), and seq24 from a shell script, and
then call "aconnect" to set up the MIDI routes (I also route MIDI out to
my hardware synth, and MIDI in from my keyboard):

#!/bin/sh

hydrogen -s phasetransition.h2song &
phasex "phasetransition_lead" &
sleep 5
ardour2 PhaseTransitionLive/PhaseTransitionLive.ardour &
sleep 3
seq24 --file sl3live.mid &
sleep 1
aconnect seq24:0 'Waldorf Blofeld':0
aconnect seq24:2 'phasex-01':0
aconnect 'USB Midi Cable':0 'phasex-01':0
aconnect seq24:9 Hydrogen:0

echo "Ready to roll!"

It's not the most elegant solution, but it works well enough :)

Thanks
Leigh