Re: [LAU] usb or firewire (when having a ricoh chipset)

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 28 2010 - 16:41:53 EEST

Hi,

On Thursday 28 October 2010 13:10:00 rosea.grammostola wrote:
> Having a ricoh firewire chipset here on a thinkpad t61. Not the best one
> afaik..

This depends. There are Ricoh chipsets that work (even better with the quirks
of current kernels) and there are chipsets that don't work.

> Should I go for a usb (edirol for example) or firewire interface?

This also depends:

Do you want more then stereo-in-stereo-out? If yes, firewire is a sane
solution.

Do you want the ability to connect more then one devices, even if its only at
a later point? If yes, firewire is the only feasible solution. USB doesn't
really provide any synchronization or even synchronous data-transfer.

Which devices share the interrupts? If your firewire chip (built in or via
pccard) has its own interrupt while the usb ports share their interrupt with
each other and also with disk/wireless/screen, you will have better luck with
firewire.

(One advantage of usb is that it always has 5V which devices can use to run
and to create phantom power. Firewire in laptops is either 5-pin without +12V
or needs an extra power-adaptor to provide the +12V to power external devices
and provide phantom power.)

Have fun,

Arnold