Re: [LAU] Linux/Windows dichotomy

From: michael noble <looplog@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 29 2010 - 03:08:16 EEST

Just out of curiosity, what is it that makes you doubt parallel wine
instantiations are usable? I know in the past I've experimented with this
technique for running up to 8 parallel instances of audiomulch (each with 8
output channels) with more than enough cpu left over for jackrack(s), 16
channels in sooplooper (actually 2x8) and ardour on the same machine. Using
wineasio and jack2, this all ran stable at 256 frames/second.

-michael

On Oct 21, 2010 11:03 PM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 20...
I run VMWare everyday. Every benchmark I've run runs within 1% of the
the same machine running Windows 7 native. For my money Wine, while
very well intentioned, isn't worth trying to to shave out .5%.

The biggest advantage I get from VMWare and am not sure I'd ever get
from Wine is that the main program I have to run in Windows
(TradeStation) isn't multi-threaded. Under Windows on my 6 core/12
thread i7-980x I don't use more than 2 threads running TradeStation.
(1 for TS, essentially 1 for Win 7 supporting it.) Running VMWare
under Gentoo I often run 5 copies of VMWare which equates to 10
threads leaving 2 threads for Gentoo to control all the hardware. I
don't think Wine will _ever_ run 5 copies in parallel.

Granted, this work is heavily computational and not typical of
anything I do in the audio area, but VMWare eliminated my looking Wine
for a long, long time.

I haven't bothered much with audio on that machine so I cannot say how
well apps like Kontakt might work, but audio output does work so
watching NetFlix, etc., works perfectly.

- Mark