Re: [LAU] SSD for audio

From: Florian Faber <faber@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 02 2010 - 18:51:28 EET

Rosea,

> Thanks for the replies so far. Till now people seems to be positive
> about SSD for audio data. More and/ or different views on this?

What exactly should be the problem using SSDs for audio? SSDs are far
superior in comparison to discs in every way except the the number of
write cycles.

We use SSDs in audio production a lot, also for editing video. There are
PCIe cards on the market (OCZ e.g.) which offer way higher bandwidth and
IOPs than 3GBit/6GBit SATA drives. They allow for instantenious handling
of several uncompressed HD/2k streams while editing and create a very
comfortable workflow.

Of course we don't use SSDs as a storage solution, just for the 'hot'
data (=active projects).

Flo

--
Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key DA43FEF4          x-hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net