Re: [LAU] SSD for audio

From: Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 02 2010 - 20:49:28 EET

On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 19:19:18 +0100
Benjamin Freitag <benjamin@email-addr-hidden-guten-partei.de> wrote:
> If you need high speed access(e.g. live transmission), become aware how
> cheap ram is today, and try to use something like the following command:
> "mount -o size=2000M -t tmpfs none /media/ram"
>
> No SSD can beat that...(actually)

But the SSD will retain its data when the machine crashes, or the power goes
out, or when the drummer decides to find out what that button does (it turns
the UPS on and off, doofus). I'd never record to a RAM disk because there's
always an additional step needed to write to the "real" storage. Even if
you use rsync to only write what's new, there may be significant delays while
you do the dump.

> In the end, applied correctly SSDs may speed up your workflow,
> but cheap or faulty SSDs may destroy your whole contractors data.

So can bad RAM and/or bad hard drives. In my experience SSDs are now no
more or less prone to problems than any other part of the computer. Backups
should be approached like voting in Chicago - early and often!

> For the money of two cheap SSD(needed for solid performance)
> you may buy an old server with wnough ram slots an redundant gigabit(min
> 2000MB/s) and you are just fine

It'd be extremely hard to find a server that runs quietly enough for a studio
environment. I have a nice tower that was designed to be as quiet as possible.
Putting SSDs in will allow me to make it even quieter than it is now.

I do agree that having 2 mirrored drives is more secure, though.