Re: [LAU] The democratization on music might not always be a good thing...

From: David Balch <david@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 04 2010 - 18:29:09 EET

On 3 November 2010 20:24, Lorenzo Sutton <lsutton@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> What is the Windows world coming to?
>>

>> http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/powered-by-reaktor/the-mouth/?content=1412&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=The+Mouth
>
> It's just a piece of good (or bad? I'm not sure because I'm not a real
> expert) marketing... Nothing you couldn't do with sooperlooper a bunch of
> effects and, maybe, some hardware controllers... Or you could also set
> everything up in Pd...

The key difference is it's all set up as a unified instrument:
install, run, make noise - rather than having to spend lots of time
hooking up Jack and managing sessions. Obviously one can sacrifice
flexibility for convenience.

Tim Exile's stuff is written in Reaktor, to which Pd is probably the
open source equivalent. Apparently he started in Pd, and switched to
traktor because he couldn't get what he wanted (dunno if that's
features, speed, convenience, commercial opportunity, or whatever) in
Pd.

I really like what he does - it's a really immediate way of making
music electronically, giving lots of room for improvisation. At a gig
he'll play songs from his albums, but can really make it a live
performance. if you want to hear more traditional music with complex
instrumentation and arrangements, you probably don't want Exile.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
http://www.witchesband.com/