Re: [LAU] The democratization on music might not always be a good thing...

From: David Santamauro <david.santamauro@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 04 2010 - 19:59:52 EET

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 13:26:07 -0400
drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Thursday 04 November 2010 12:24:32 you wrote:
> > true, but also a bit of jealousy, no? Why should someone with no
> > musical skills other than the ability to operate computer software
> > be able to travel the same path as a someone trained for decades?

It should actually read:
"[...] with no skills to create music other than [...]"

> Perhaps because there are musical skills / abilities / talent and
> instrumental skills / abilities / talent and you can have the former
> without the latter?

Sure, although I can't confirm the poster's comments, there was an
interesting blurb about Irving Berlin in a previous email.

> (Since I sing so poorly, I often wonder why some should be born with
> the voices they were while I got what I got. That's life right?)
>
> If not, then there are no worries as no one without the latter will
> ever be able to make any decent music.

Well, not to be critical, but without the latter (instrument skills /
abilities / talent ) -- in particular, instrument skills -- it would be
impossible to "make" any music at all. One could create music and have
it rendered without those skills regardless if it is decent or not,
which I think is actually the crux of this discussion. But then the
whole can or worms about what "decent" is approaches and I'll
gracefully bow out of that one.

> As a little thought experiment, suppose one day we fins a way to hook
> up monitors to our brain so that the music we think gets played on an
> instrument so that we don't have to go through the mechanical process
> of learning to play the instrument... Then...

I'd be first in line to buy it ...

> Ultimately whatever process someone uses to create a piece of music,
> we have a few things to deal with.
>
> Is it an enjoyable / worthwhile piece of music?

not touching that one ... one man's garbage is another man's
treasure // bowing out gracefully ;-) //

> Was it created completely randomly and automatically and the first
> iteration was accepted with no critical decision at all or was
> judgement brought to the process and "bad" options eliminated or was
> the inputs controlled in some way to achieve a musical idea?

Are you referring to the automated creation of music as implied (or
hinted) at by the original thread because all of those statements above
can be equally applied to a traditional, pen/paper composer as well.

David