Re: [LAU] screencasting with ffmpeg

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 05 2010 - 11:38:56 EET

On 11/05/2010 05:42 AM, Rustom Mody wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 12:38 AM, Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>> Can I replace xsession by metacity?
>>
>> Sure but metacity is only a minimal window-manager, no session, panel,
>> menu etc.
>>
>> Try 'xfce' - if you're used to gnome it's got a similar 'feel' and is
>> not too heavy to install.
>
> Ok so I installed xfce4.
> Made my shell script as follows:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> set -x
> # Set up nested X server
> Xephyr -keybd ephyr,,,xkbmodel=evdev -br -reset -host-cursor -screen
> 1280x720x24 -dpi 96 :2 &
> sleep 3
> export DISPLAY=:2.0
> xfce4-session

Try adding an ampersand after xfce-session.

> Now I get the error:
>

> ./sh1
> + sleep 3
> + Xephyr -keybd ephyr,,,xkbmodel=evdev -br -reset -host-cursor -screen
> 1280x720x24 -dpi 96 :2
> SELinux: Disabled on system, not enabling in X server
>
> Kbd option key () of value ((null)) not assigned!

That is probably because of the -keybd options I used. I had to use this
specific line to get my keyboard and mouse working properly. man Xephyr
is very informative on these options.

> ** ERROR **: Another session manager is already running
> aborting...

I'm not a window manager (WM)/desktop environment (DE) expert, all I
know is that you can run into issues when using two DE's like Gnome and
Xfce in this kind of set-up.

Best,

Jeremy