Re: [LAU] Music made with linux: Abundance - Ambient-Psy-Trance

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 07 2010 - 13:50:48 EET

On Thu, November 4, 2010 11:42 pm, david wrote:
> Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>> I have uploaded a new version which I think fulfills the Ambient aspect
>> of
>> the project. It also has some aspects of Gregorian chanting, Buddhist
>> chanting and Mongolian throat singing which made it into the mix.
>> Totally
>> unplanned. IMO it gives the overall soundscape a very meditative feel
>> now.
>
> Wouldn't say meditative. The spoken word sound is too interruptive and
> distracting for that. Also, the repetitive "1950's UFO sound effect"
> sounds don't seem to fit that idea, either.

Well, I like a bit of sci-fi with my meditation. It's not so easy to get a
robot to sound soothing so I just rolled with it and was trying for
clarity as priority.

> I do wonder what it might be like listening to a full Ambisonic version
> of it, on a real Ambisonic sound rig.

I haven't designed it for a 3d field. But that would be fun to do.

>> http://djcj.org/audio/kotau/abundance
>
> Thanks for the OGG file, I wouldn't have listened again if I'd had to do
> another 700MB download.
>
>> I think I have added some more conventional musical qualities with this
>> mix and the overall sound is quite soothing to listen too. Especially
>> the
>> end section which comes over in waves which I find to be contextually
>> appropriate given the content of the material.
>
> It sounds like a soundtrack for a bad 1970's psychedelic/art film.

Just out of interest, and being that you are a fluent english speaker I
wonder if you could understand much of the content of the spoken word?

But yes, I have had in mind some bad/cheesy 70's films while mixing so
that is a good match on your part ;-)

Next step is to create the movie for it. Barbarella all the way...

> More interesting than the first version of it, but I think I've heard
> enough to decide that ambient-psy-trance isn't for me.

Didn't you say that about my last set too?

I guess you could say there is a theme there.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.