Re: [LAU] Denemo with ALSA MIDI, how?

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 14 2010 - 09:01:16 EET

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 09:53:51AM +0100, Edgar Aichinger wrote:
> Am Samstag 13 November 2010, 02:46:15 schrieb Ken Restivo:

> > > In Edit/Change Preferences I see the rightmost tab called Audio/MIDI.
> > >
> > > - Enable "Auto-start midi in"
> > > - Set up InternalSynth to use jack Audio and alsa_seq MIDI drivers
> > > - Restart Denemo
> > > - In Input menu, choose MIDI input
> > > - Connect MIDI keyboard to fluidsynth ALSA MIDI port
> > > - Enter notes with my keyboard
> > >
> > > It seems that you have to manually connect the audio out ports of Denemo
> > > once, but subsequently it saves and restores connection state at program
> > > quit/start.
> > >

> > Thanks, but if it were there, I'd have already found it.
> >
> > http://restivo.org/misc/denemo.png
> >
> > There is no such tab in my Edit/Change preferences!
> >
> > This is version 0.8.2
> >
> > -ken
>
> But 0.8.2 is ancient, latest release is 0.8.20!
>
> You probably have been fooled by the wrong release version number for denemo
> in the latest Linux Audio Monthly Round-Up http://linuxaudio.org/node/122 ? I forgot
> to mention that in my previous mail...

Ah! Thanks, yes I did get confused surfing through your archive of tarballs, and thought 0.8.2 was the latest.

OK, I have got the settings now as this:
http://restivo.org/misc/denemo2.png

And I now have this:

client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
    0 'Timer '
    1 'Announce '
        Connecting To: 15:0
client 128: 'FLUID Synth (8149)' [type=user]
    0 'Synth input port (8149:0)'

MIDI input works! Very nice.

I'd also rather not use the internal fluidsynth, but rather patch the ALSA MIDI output of Denemo into my own synths. Is there a way to simply get it to give me an alsa_seq in and out, and let me patch in my own keyboard and synths, rather than using its internal one?

-ken