[LAU] Sampler project. First volley of questions

From: Batz <batzman-lau@email-addr-hidden-electric.com>
Date: Thu Nov 18 2010 - 11:25:47 EET

Y-ellow All.
         Seems I've exhausted all hope of getting the A4000 running so I
need to start planning out a system for a linux based sampler, sooner
rather than later. So I'm hoping I can glean some initial answers here.

Firstly I need to know if it's wiser to go to a 64 bit or 32 bit distro of
Slackware? Assuming of course I get a suitable 64 bit capable mo-bo.

Second question. Is it possible to get extremely low (read real-time)
latency from an on-board or el-cheapo sound card, or do I have to look for
something specific? If so is there a list of preferred sound card/devices?

I have some older Hoontech DSP24 cards kicking around if they would
suffice. These were quite a respectable card in their day and have more
than what I need. IE: S/PDIF I/Os. Although if I end up using a lap top
mo-bo then I'll need to buy a USB or PCMCIA or something?

It would be nice if I could get away with on-board sound though. You can't
do that under windows even using ASIO drivers but perhaps there's a trick
under ALSA? The reason I ask is that I've got a bunch of teensy, tiny VIA
based mo-bos. All-in-one. And they'd make a great little synth. Even if it
was only a mono-synth. Obviously not powerful enough for my immediate needs
but it would be somewhat cool to press these things into service as a small
linux based synth.

Thanks in advance. Very much appreciated.

be absolutely icebox.

     / ____|| | // Disgusting -> http://all-electric.com
    / /| |____ | |// The trusted _-_|\
  / / | |____ | \ \ non-sequitur \_.-*_/