Re: [LAU] edirol fa101 on differant rate that 48k ?

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 18 2010 - 13:29:02 EET

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 6:04 AM, Thomas Hedegaard <thomas@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> 2010/11/18 Florian Faber <faber@email-addr-hidden>
>>
>> Thomas,
>>
>> > Im not very into this stuff, but you can certainly hear the difference.
>>
>> This is, with all due respect, bullshit. On the technical side, there is
>> no difference, just a waste of bandwidth.
>>
> Of course a higher SR gives better sound. Wich you can easily hear if you
> use your ears. There is a reason to use 44.1k and not 8k on CD for ex.

certainly, going from 8k to 44.1k makes a huge difference. this is
because the general threshold of human hearing is around 20kHz, and so
an 8k SR results in loss of audible frequencies. at 40kHz and above,
nyquist's theorem says that the sampled signal isn't missing any
frequencies, and so going from 44.1kHz to 88.2kHz or above doesn't
help in any way.

however, most A/D equipment does include a brickwall filter to help
avoid "aliasing" during the conversion, and its easier to make this
filter behave "better" if its being run at higher frequency. the
difference, though, is fairly small, and gets smaller the higher you
go.

there has never been, to my knowledge, any double blind test that has
revealed that any more than a tiny number of individuals (if even
that) can hear the difference between the 4X kHz SR range (44.1, 48
etc) and the 8X+ kHz SR range (88.2 and above).

as for your comment about LPs vs CDs, perhaps you should take a look
at the bass rolloff inherent in the RIAA EQ curve for vinyl. there is
definitely a "sound" to LPs, and its been clear for a long time now
that its not the sound of "perfect reproduction". it just happens to
be a sound that many people (especially those who grew up with it)
find themselves liking.