Re: [LAU] Sampling rate and perceived audio quality [WAS]: Re: edirol fa101 on differant rate that 48k ?

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 19 2010 - 16:27:57 EET

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 11:19:19AM +0100, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:

> Thanks for this one. I had been looking for this type of more
> scientific information with tests about something I've personally
> been going a long for ages against the statement that "CD is
> technically crap", that is: do some bloody blind tests!
>
> Do you have the reference for this paper? I can't seem to find that
> exact report through google.

Unfortunately no. I remember reading it in the actual AES Journal,
but I neither have a paper nor electronic copy of it. You can
probably find it the AES electronic library, but you'd have to
pay even for the PDF. Must have been between two and three years
ago, IIRC.

> Point 2 makes me think of the fact that someone discovered [citation
> needed] that many so called CD "remasterings" of '70s and '80s
> records have actually been compressed (as in using an audio
> compressior), in turn creating a belief in 'nostalgia audiophiles'
> that "the vinyl sounded better than CD", were probably what is
> sounding better (despite noise and annoying clicks and crackle) is a
> better S/N ratio which was 'killed' (or at least strongly reduced)
> by the compressed ("remastered") version (and of course it wouldn't
> surprise me that "remastering" may also have involved some eq etc,
> but one should do a more scientific analysis).

I suspect that very few of the re-releases on CD of vinyl recordings
are actually close to the original.

> Something else (not related directly to the topic and, again, I
> would be happy to learn if tests exists). One could argue that
> "some" noise could actually make a recording subjectively more
> pleasing/interesting due to the fact that we are immersed in a
> background noise in everyday life and that hearing some of that
> noise makes us feel more "reassured"... But I can see how I'm
> probably drifting a little too far here :)

I wouldn't be surprised. OTOH, I really love the wide dynamic
range we can have today.

Ciao,

--
FA