Re: [LAU] 200 lines kernel patch

From: Jouni Rinne <l33tmmx@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 21 2010 - 14:43:54 EET

On 11/20/10 20:38, Ray Rashif wrote:
> On 21 November 2010 02:33, torbenh <torbenh@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

>>> it doesn't look terribly relevant because a DAW is going to schedule
>>> most threads that matter with SCHED_FIFO. these threads will be
>>> scheduled by a different set of rules than SCHED_OTHER (i.e. most of
>>> the desktop threads, and the scheduling class that is affected by the
>>> patch). that's not to say it might not still make things feel a bit
>>> better, but it won't really make lower latencies possible etc. etc.. I
>>> think.
>>
>> looking at the 200lines patch... it seems to activate RT_GROUP_SCHED
>> if anybody know how the system needs to be configured, so that jackd
>> runs with this option on, it might be nice if you told us.
>>
>> if we really get kernels with this turned on soon, we better be prepared.
>
> In fact, isn't cgroups incompatible with realtime scheduling? Not
> quite sure where I'm quoting that from but I vaguely recall something
> like that.

Cgroups (using the 'Ubuntu'-style workaround mentioned in the original article)
+ realtime scheduling works here, on Gentoo, kernel 2.6.34-r12, but needs a
little extra configuration in /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf, please see here
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/JACK#Kernel_Configuration

JR

--
| me@email-addr-hidden ~$whoami            ^ ^  | "Trust me, I know what I'm doing!" |
| Jouni 'Mad Max' Rinne      ('x') | - Sledge Hammer                    |