Re: [LAU] controllerism on linux

From: Renato <rennabh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Nov 27 2010 - 23:43:50 EET

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 21:34:01 +0300
Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hey!
>
> I did actually do quite some controllerism, not with Live but with Dj
> Traktor Studio. All my experiments on Linux showed that there is no
> reliable way to get close to Moldover's level without using a
> proprietary app, designed especially for that. If you use something
> that was not, you will end up having trouble doing some basic
> operations. In fact, I had to spend quite a lot of time with Traktor,
> to figure out the best mapping for Traktor to suit my needs, just
> like Moldover had to work a lot at his method until he came up with
> what he did.
>
> Sooperlooper seems like the most elaborate tool on Linux in terms of
> being midified, however a simple fact that it does not display the
> name of the file you load makes it almost impossible to use in a
> controllerism performance. Cyclone looks more promising
> (http://toxic.cubicarea.it/cyclone) but I haven't tried it.
>
> Freewheeling I also did not try - I mean, I did a long time ago and it
> didn't cut it, but I do not remember the reason.

I started looping things with it time ago, and then left it for
sooperlooper. As allready said, I preferred Freewheeling's approach,
but it was not maintained and I remember I missed some features

> Anyway, do you have any controllerism experience?

well, not yet, but I'm quite inspired by what people like Moldover, Tim
Exile and DubFX are doing... I don't have any "real" midi controller
but I'm comfortable with getting midi out of arduinos, gamepads and
guitar (with rakarrack midi converter)

One thing that kind of blocks me is that musically I'm not very
accostumed to electronic music, which seems better suited for this kind
of thing (It's hard to immagine doing "controllerism" on a tabla sitar
and guitar piece from Shakti (what I'm listening to now))

I'll eventually find my way I guess ;)

renato