Re: [LAU] controllerism on linux

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 28 2010 - 21:16:51 EET

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 10:40:11AM +0100, Renato Budinich wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hiddenwrote:
>
> > "The real work is in collecting and organizing the music, and organizing
> > your controller's workflow to make performance smooth and interesting, as
> > Moldover has done."
> >
> > I wish that was true, but I understand what Renato says about diving into
> > technical details and spending more time programming or configuring things
> > rather than working on music. Organizing is important, but when Sooperlooper
> > simply does not display what loop is being played and you need around 20
> > loops at the very least when 4 already take up the whole screen -
> > Sooperlooper's ability to be controllerism software, which requires clarity
> > of interface and quick workflow, becomes too theoretical.
> >
> > I absolutely do not want to say that Linux software is not capable of
> > providing controllerism in question, but at the moment - let's say, it is
> > not trivial. And for a musician who is not a programmer - basically, close
> > to impossible.
> >
> > I would love to be proven wrong, because then I would use this solution on
> > Linux myself. But at the moment all discussions along the lines of "You
> > could just as easily do some controllerism stuff with a hacked Novation of
> > your own, or an Arduino, or a Monome, and just about any looper" feel like
> > the person who is saying it did not really try. Especially, the word
> > "easily" grates on the ears.
> >
> > =)
> >
> > --
> > Louigi Verona
> > http://www.louigiverona.ru/
> >

> I understand your point Louigi. OTOH this controllerism-type of thing
> seems a rather new approach to music, and quite a radical one. All of
> the artists mentioned in this thread have actually done a lot of work
> themselves to "bend" equipment and software.
>
> If you want to make something similar, I think you should put into
> account spending much time with design AND technical issues, be it
> windows or linux
>
> anyway, cyclone looks good, I will try it. One thing I want to
> experiment is using seq24 to control sooperlooper/cyclone

That's pretty much what I was trying to say. No matter what your tools choice is, to do something at the quality level of Moldover or other loop-meisters, the hours messing around with the tools and getting them set up will be nothing compared to the hours of music selection, processing, cutting, arranging, composing-- just as with creating any other kind of composition--, and also the many hours of practice and committing your performance to muscle memory-- just as is required to master any other instrument.

"Easy" was probably the wrong word to use-- especially in the context of anything to do with Linux :-). My apologies.

-ken