Re: [LAU] SSD for audio

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 30 2010 - 21:06:32 EET

On Tuesday 30 November 2010 19:34:06 rosea.grammostola wrote:
> On 11/08/2010 05:24 PM, Joe Hartley wrote:
> > On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 14:34:32 +0100

> >> This is SSD? Why 2.5" and not 3.5"
> >> Which size SSD is recommended for a Desktop pc?
> >
> > I went with the smaller drives for a few reasons. One is that the
> > smaller drives are easily obtainable for me. My company makes storage
> > systems that use 2.5" drives exclusively, and have proven the 2.5"
> > drives (at least the Constellations) to be both performant and rugged
> > enough for the task, so I wasn't worried about the smaller drives
> > lacking in that regard. The other issue was that I didn't have room for
> > any more larger drives (though I'll be able to pull them now that the
> > system has proved itself), but I did have room for the 2.5" drives.
> >
> >> Hmm when I set cpu scaling on performance, the fan of my T61 makes to
> >> much noise for a SSD to be valuable...
> >
> > I've been trying to resurrect a T61 a friend had given to me. It's got a
> > known issue with the onboard video memory, so the only real fix is a mobo
> > replacement, but in researching that, I found that there's a known issue
> > with the T61 and fan noise. Check out the website
> > http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_control_fan_speed
> > There seem to some things that can be done to minimize it. Good luck!
>
> Are ssd drives cooler then normal hdd's?
>
> A normal hdd gets damaged at 55 degrees Celsius more or less, how is
> that for ssd?

90°C are the max for hdd (there the magnetism is lost). 55°C is very well
possible, though not recommended. It certainly doesn't degrade the disk.

SSD are nice as they are faster for seeking. Continuous transfer-rates with
are about the same for ssd and hdd at least in the range where they aren't to
pricey for normal people.
If you want to use one: Use it for the current projects you are working on.
Leave the operating system on the traditional hdd. You boot your os only once
a day. Once ardour is running, the current project is reading many chunks of
data from different files in rapid succession. Exactly what the main advantage
of ssd is...

Have fun,

Arnold