Re: [LAU] No joy with AVlinux

From: Lorenzo Sutton <lsutton@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 01 2010 - 16:27:13 EET

Hi,

Batz wrote:
> Y-ellow All.
> OK. need some help here. I regret to say that I'm not getting
> much mileage out of AVlinux. I haven't felt quite like throwing a
> computer out the window, since Turtle Beach first started making sound
> cards. Well, OK, It's not quite that bad but it's certainly
> reminiscent. Ah them were the days... However I think my days of
> experiments in computer aerodynamics are behind me. :) I hope.
>
> I'm not even quite sure what questions to ask at this point. There is
> so much not working properly. It all seems quite hopeless. So
> ultimately; I need to know if I am wasting my time or should I
> persist? Should I move on and try a different distro? Though I
> actually like the distro it self.
>
> The test bed is fairly simple...
>
> 2.8 gig P4
> 1 gig RAM
> Hoontech DSP124 (Envy24) sound card.
> Evolution MK249 USB keyboard.
>
> The final system will be different to this but this will have to do as
> a proof of concept. All of which appears to work in and of it self.
>
> For the most part, software will either connect to MIDI or Audio but
> not both. All except for that little drum machine thing. Hydrogen? I
> get sound and MIDI but it Xruns and crashes regularly. I'm not so much
> worried about the Xruns at this point. There are bigger issues. Linux
> sampler only works as a Zynjacku plug in. Except that Zynjacku's MIDI
> comes up in the MIDI tab of JACK. Everything else comes in under the
> ALSA tab. Which means there's no way to connect to it. Or no obvious way.
>
> Yoshimi looked really interesting. It looks as though you can use
> samples as oscillators which could be what I'm after. Except that as
> above, I can't connect MIDI into it. And even when using the little
> keyboard applet/window, it crashes a lot. Usually it takes JACK out as
> well. To the point of requiring a reboot. Because the frozen windows
> lock themselves and I can't kill them. And JACK won't connect anything
> after that. I guess I could find the process and kill it. I can't see
> that being very helpful up on stage in front of an audience though.
> And the last time it crashed, it seems to have crashed permanently.
> Yoshimi will load and lock it self and that's all.
>
> Perhaps the recording apps work well. I don't know. I'm not set up to
> test that. And this is not my current focus.
>
> So anyway, if any of this sound familiar and is easily fixed then I'd
> be over the moon to hear about it. Or alternatively, should I move on
> to try another distro?
>
> Thanks in advance.
I don't known the distribution you mention but... for some of the things
you talk of (like using samples as oscillators) did you have a look at
Pure Data? You can easily connect midi and audio do very creative/exotic
stuff. I'm sure if you're a 'hardware guy' (if I understand correctly)
patching should be fun.

Just 2 euro-cents,
Lorenzo