Re: [LAU] Is it just me -

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 01 2010 - 18:32:48 EET

On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 08:48:58AM +0100, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> david wrote:
> > or does it appear that the only 88-key MIDI controller available with
> > aftertouch is the Akai MPK88?
>
> A quick search on thomann.de shows a bunch of other ones:
> CME UF80
> CME UF80 Classic
> DOEPFER LMK2+ 88T USB
> DOEPFER LMK4+ USB
> Fatar Studiologic NUMA Nero
> Fatar Studiologic VMK-88 plus
> Fatar Studiologic VMK-188 Plus
> KURZWEIL PC3 K
> KURZWEIL PC3 X
> KURZWEIL PC3LE 8
>
> (Some are more (i.e., more expensive) than just controllers.)

The CME UF8 88key had, IIRC, two zones of aftertouch, which was nice. It also weighed as much as a Rhodes 73. But had the best feel of any keyboard I've ever played, due to real hammers. Watch out though: the little rubber switches for the keys wear out, causing dead notes, and getting the correct part from CME can take months (I know this from personal experience).

My Novation 61-key has aftertouch (one zone). Dunno if Novation makes an 88-key, but if they do, I'd venture a guess it also has aftertouch.

I wrote a Python script to convert aftertouch to pitch bend, and use it constantly now.

-ken