Re: [LAU] No joy with AVlinux

From: Jean-Baptiste Mestelan <mestelan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 02 2010 - 19:13:46 EET

On 2 December 2010 09:40, Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> All I can say: a friend of mine here in Germ, who was heavily advocating
> AVLinux last year, is now explicitly warning users NOT to use AVLinux 4.1.
> Bad RT-Performance and other smaller issues he reports. Seems, AVL has
> switched from Debian to Ubuntu. The very same step, that was one of the
> last steps in the life of 64Studio....

From AVLinux website:
"...It ( AVLinux 4.1) was created using the upcoming Debian GNU/Linux
'Squeeze' 6.0".

As far as I know, AVLinux has been using Debian testing since version
2.0, which dates back to 2007. While the former versions did use
Ubuntu, this introduced package instability at some point, which
motivated the move to Debian.

The maintainer has strong views about how reliable an audio-production
should be, and values system stability above anything else ; he
explains it better than me here:
http://www.remastersys.com/forums/index.php?topic=240.0

AVLinux works extremely well here, and is the first distro which has
allowed me to make more music than system maintenance; your mileage
may vary, of course.
The above forum is quite active and helpful, by the way; maybe the OP
could get some tips there ?