Re: [LAU] Scalpel Audio Editor 0.8.0

From: Pierre <lists.stackp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 05 2010 - 16:30:33 EET

Thanks for your comments Jostein.

> Why bother the users with that kind of info? This kind of info is probably one
> of the top 5 reasons that keeps Windows- and Mac users from trying Linux apps
> IMHO. :-)

All right. I'll rethink the presentation. The reason was to appeal to
"power users", who won't dive in C code but can throw together a Python
or Matlab script for a DSP algorithm.

> It saves the wave file in 16 bit 44100hz sample rate. It should at least keep
> the file's current format and at least be able to save 24 bit files. For me,
> this is the most serious point. It's important to have control over the saved
> formats. You will come far with support for 44100, 48000 and 96000 sample
> rates in 16, 24 and 32 bit.

You're absolutely right. It's on my list of future improvements.

> One more serious (probably) thing for people that work with samples: The
> filter section have a 0 to 3 scale for Damping in stead of a DB scale.

Yes! Thanks for that. I also plan a logarithmic scale for the frequency
slider.

> And finally a suggestion that will make Scalpel even more effective: Make the
> key combination SHIFT+END mark the sound from the position point to the end of
> the sound. Using the mouse for doing this is just to time consuming when
> working with many samples. The same applies for SHIFT+HOME.

Well, END and HOME (without the SHIFT) do exactly that. I'll add a list
of keyboard shortcuts to the Help menu.

Cheers,

Pierre