Re: [LAU] Multimedia production on Debian (was Re: No joy with AVlinux)

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 07 2010 - 01:12:36 EET

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 05:50:25PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 4:00 PM, <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > Could be a 'religiuous' aka 'UI standards' thing: 'You Shall
> > Not Abuse a Menu to Be a Dialog' (unless you don't mind your
> > offspring to be cursed for the next 10 generations).
>
> i opened the debate on gtk-devel, and that was one perspective,

surprise, surprise...

> though
> from a not particularly core or central GTK developer.
> a couple of other people were more supportive of the idea.

To me it looks like an effective way to avoid RSI...

The alternative (for Ardour) would be to recode some of the menus
as dialogs. In RiscOS you could use a dialog box as a submenu as
well - it would just open at the right place and if you didn't
click in it go away when moving out, in the same way as a submenu
would. So with one click and few gestures you could have access to
any number of dialogs. Very productive.

Ciao,

--
FA