[LAU] audio with WM8993

From: Murali K. Vemuri <vemuri.muralikrishna@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 07 2010 - 13:38:28 EET

Hello there,

I am freshman w.r.t Audio driver on Linux. I will start with explaining my
HW and then my problem.

My HW:
I am working with OMAP3530 based custom board (not any standard EVM or
Beagle). The closest thing I have the EVM kernel, So, I started off with the
EVM kernel and started tweaking around.
I have Wolfson Microelectronics WM8993 Audio Codec (SOC) for sound. Now, the
WM8993 is also connected to the OMAP I2C-3 for the purpose of volume control
/ mute etc. the WM8993 data RX is connected to GPIO119 of OMAP.

Problem:

1. When I tried to bring up the driver for this SOC, I successfully
registered this device with I2C bus. But, I am not able to register this
with ALSA.
2. Is it mandatory to register this device with ALSA to receive the Audio?
or is there any alternative method to receive the audio?
Any pointers will be helpful
Murali