Re: [LAU] 100% Linux stuff: The Infinite Repeat - Unaware of a Direction

From: Q <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 08 2010 - 17:24:56 EET

Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> LS,
>
> For the moment I consider this track finished. Well, finished as in that
> it sounds much like I want it to. When Qtractor 0.4.7 came out I decided
> I had to let myself go concerning effects, especially now they can be
> MIDI controlled which is just great. I set up a special FX automation
> MIDI track and off I went.
> The female vocals were done by my girlfriend. Just a few takes and she
> was greatly unsatisfied but with some effects and some cutting up it
> turned out quite ok.
> Huge shout out to Will J Godfrey (aka Folderol) for his amazing
> instrument bank, I used Warm Synth, Sharp Synth, Pizzicato Strings and
> the great Wind and Surf for the swooossssshhh. Also big props for Cal
> for the ever improving Yoshimi. And Rui of course. Qtractor just rocks.
> Lastly, the FFADO folks. I'm now looking at my shiny and new Focusrite
> Saffire Pro 40 that has been running happily for hours now at 4ms with
> about 20+ tracks and about the same amount of effects. Yeah, I
> encountered some occasional xruns, but basically that only happens when
> I open stuff like LV2 gui's or change hefty instrument patches with
> Yoshimi (which will be a thing of the past once the sqlite3
> implementation for the banks has been perfectioned).
> I'll see if I can do a screencast of this track. Nothing is cooler than
> seeing those slick Calf plugins do their stuff automatically :)
>
> http://linux.autostatic.com/temp/The%20Infinite%20Repeat%20-%20Unaware%20of%20a%20Direction%20-%20Mixdown20101204.ogg
>
> http://linux.autostatic.com/temp/The%20Infinite%20Repeat%20-%20Unaware%20of%20a%20Direction%20-%20Mixdown%2020101204.mp3
>

> And yes, I've learned so much in the making of this track. I've never
> worked with compressors, gates, filters and eq's before and this track
> was like a playground in which I could all test it out.
>
> Best,
>
> Jeremy

Hi Jeremy

Not the sort of music I normally listen to, but I enjoyed this. It's
short and to the point, yet I like how it feels as though you've just
tuned in for a brief period to something that never stops and is always
on the move -- the title is perfect.

Nice synth textures and I like the little details like the acoustic
guitar, floating in and out. The mix is great; as others have said it's
got a real 80s vibe to it.

I think it would have been great to have made more of the female vocal,
having it to the right of the lead vocal as well as at the left and
perhaps also layering it up bit by bit so it became a bit more prominent
for a short period.

Thanks for sharing.