Re: [LAU] looking for a midi recording softsynth

From: Peter Nelson <peter@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 10 2010 - 14:02:43 EET

On Fri, 2010-12-10 at 10:02 +0000, andy baxter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was talking to a friend this morning about a project I thought we
> could do together. He plays free improv piano/keyboard music - dense
> patterns and textures improvised in live time. I was saying that in
> principle it would be possible to record a piece of his music on a
> keyboard as a midi stream, then feed it through a softsynth in a studio
> and tweak the synth parameters as it's playing to produce the final piece.

Hi Andy,

You probably want two separate programs: something to record the MIDI,
and a softsynth.

I'd probably use ardour 3 (beware of dragons) to record the MIDI data,
and any mix of synths to get the required sound.

Only problem might be if you used the synth's GUI to tweak sound
parameters; they wouldn't be recorded.

Peter.