Re: [LAU] looking for a midi recording softsynth

From: Leigh Dyer <lsd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 10 2010 - 15:32:08 EET

On Fri, 2010-12-10 at 07:08 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 7:02 AM, Peter Nelson <peter@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > I'd probably use ardour 3 (beware of dragons) to record the MIDI data,
> > and any mix of synths to get the required sound.
>
> not sure this a great suggestion for a newcomer to "all this", but anyway ...
> QTractor would probably be a better idea for the next couple of months.

Yep, Qtractor should work just fine for the MIDI recording part of this.

For the synth part, I'd look at PHASEX (or the updated phasex-dev fork),
which has been discussed recently on the list. It can make some nice
sounds, but more importantly, it's very MIDI controllable -- you can
right-click on any control to map it to a MIDI CC very easily. If you
can send CC messages from knobs on your controller, and record them in
to Qtractor, you can program PHASEX to respond to them.

Thanks
Leigh