Re: [LAU] MIDI connections (hardware setup)

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 12 2010 - 17:16:03 EET

linuxdsp wrote:
> Julien Claassen wrote:
>> Hello everyone1
>> I'm pretty sure, that I'm stupid, but one can always try. I have a
>> setup here with two synths (both fully MIDI capable). I can only
>> touch one keyboard, the other one is sitting in an awkward place and
>> can't be moved. So this is the problem: Can I wire up the keyboard in
>> such a way that:
>> 1. I can use my main keyboard to control the other one and
>> 2. Use the main keyboard to control softsynths at the same time
>> (meaning without rewiring everytme).
>> I don't mind turning on both keybaords for playing a softsynth, as
>> long as the wiring can stay as it is. I'd rather not crawl in the
>> space over there in the corner and get myself hanged each time I try
>> to fiddle with the cables.
>>
> MIDI Thru?

Hi Julien,

Run your main keyboard's MIDI Out to the second board's MIDI In port.
Now you're controlling it from the main keys. Run a cable from the
second keyboard's MIDI Thru to the MIDI In on your computer's MIDI
interface, then use ALSA seq or JACK-MIDI to connect to your softsynth
of choice. Let me know if that doesn't work.

Best,

dp