Re: [LAU] -ck patch

From: Raffaele Morelli <raffaele.morelli@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 14 2010 - 11:28:46 EET

2010/12/13 Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>

> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Raffaele Morelli
> <raffaele.morelli@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > I agree about unprofessionality of xruns but what about our ears?
> > I trust my ears and bless them, thanks to them I can appreciate music
> from
> > Ella to Jimi and so on... but do they betray me when I realize I can't
> > recognize an xrun in a mix? How long is an xrun? Can we hear it when it
> > occurs only 3,4,5 times in a mix?
>
> if you can't hear the click caused by an xrun, then you probably
> should give up mixing :)

ah ah ah, yes of course... anyway I can't swear my mixing experience will
never cross the border :-)

> more seriously, it is possible for there to be an xrun without any
> audible effect (though this is rare). the clicks that they cause are
> very similar (most of the time) to those caused by sample clock sync
> issues (e.g. a bad word clock cable or connector), and i don't know
> anyone who would pay to work in a studio with such a configuration
> (until it was fixed).

I should have been more precise. I bought a condenser mic (AKG Perception
120) to record some acoustic stuff at home.
I recorded a session - st james infirmary
blues<http://www.catastocen.apat.it/st_james_infirmary_blues.mp3>
- and used the punch in/out feature for the guitar solo and for parts the
two vocal tracks (I had a cold... and still got it)

Well, there's an xrun every time the recording starts, ie after the locator
passes the punch in marker... can you hear it? I can give you the exact
timing.
I also got other session (with the full band playing) but I deleted the xrun
markers... and now I really can't gues where they occurred

Regards

PS: destroy the mp3 after :)
PSPS: apologize in advance for the bad english in the recording :(

--
*L'unica speranza di catarsi, ammesso che ne esista una, resta affidata
all'istinto di ribellione, alla rivolta non isterilita in progetti, alla