Re: [LAU] How to make Jack remember soundcards, not alsa-slots

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 14 2010 - 13:11:30 EET

On 12/14/2010 10:57 AM, ailo wrote:
> ...or to load devices into specific alsa-slots (hw:0, hw:1...)
>
> Does someone have a nice method to do one of these?
>
> Since I knew of no other method, I tried loading the cards into specific
> slots, according to this method found at planetccrma's home page:
>
> alias snd-card-0 snd-CARD_0
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> options snd-CARD_0 index=0
> alias snd-card-1 snd-CARD_1
> options snd-card-1 index=1
> options snd-CARD_1 index=1
> alias snd-card-N snd-CARD_N
> options snd-card-N index=N
> options snd-CARD_N index=N
>
> I have two m-audio delta devices and I never found a good way to
> configure alsa so they would load in a specific order. There was the
> problem of naming, since both cards have the same name.
>
> I think I would prefer the pulseaudio method, which remembers the card
> itself, not the alsa slot (I don't know anything about that, to be honest).
>
> Other things to consider is:
> More than 5 devices will be used, some of them usb midi (usb midi
> devices also appear in alsa sound slots).
> Two m-audio delta cards for audio input (8 + 4 inputs), and at least the
> sound cards need to always load in the same order with jack.
>
> Is it possible to get jack/alsa to remember the sound cards after reboot?

This has been discussed a couple of times on this list, search the
list-archive for details.

The idea is to refer to audio interfaces by name or device-id rather
than numeric ID.
  cat /proc/asound/cards
gives you a list. - use the names between the square brackets

e.g.
jackd -R -P70 -t1000 -dalsa -d 'hw:Intel' -r48000 -p1024 -n2

HTH,
robin