Re: [LAU] How to make Jack remember soundcards, not alsa-slots

From: ailo <ailo.at@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 14 2010 - 18:44:36 EET

On 12/14/2010 12:28 PM, Florian Faber wrote:
> Robin,
>
>> OOPS: I've just realized that two of your devices are identical.
>> I don't think the name will help in that case. IIRC there's away to use
>> a UID or BUS like /dev/snd/by-path/.. but I don't remember the details
>> just now.

Actually, the cards do have different names, now when I think of it.
It's the chip that is the same.
Still, it feels better to use an unique id. Perhaps /dev/snd/by-path is
a good way to do that. If I understand correctly, this is the path to
the actual pci-slot (which is not likely to change between boots).

> If the ICE-cards have serial numbers, it could be an effective solution
> to add it to the card's name. RME cards are quite commonly used in
> bundles, so I added this feature:
>
> # cat /proc/asound/cards
> 0 [default ]: HDSPM - RME MADI_c61f8e
> RME MADI S/N 0xc61f8e at 0xfdef0000, irq 16
>
> It also allows to identify cards in the LAN. In infrastructure setups
> the host no longer is the top level namespace.
>

> Flo

With my limited understanding the only thing I can discover here is:

0 [default ]

is usually :

0 [nameofcard ]

So, I'm afraid I can't read further into how to use the serial number to
identify the card.

Starting jack by using

jackd -d alsa -d 'hw:nameofcard'

may solve my problem.

I'm looking on how to sync the two cards, delta-1010 and delta-66.
AFAIK, no matter the method, it seems one must sync them using spdif
(don't think this is needed on Windows, but perhaps that has to do with
proprietary drivers?).

There is this method:
http://www.jrigg.co.uk/linuxaudio/ice1712multi.html

and one that I haven't tried yet is using alsa_in and alsa_out as
mentioned here:
http://trac.jackaudio.org/wiki/WalkThrough/User/AlsaInOut

If someone has some experience in using multiple cards, I won't mind a
pointer or two.

--
ailo