Re: [LAU] Multiple sound cards

From: ailo <ailo.at@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 15 2010 - 17:09:38 EET

On 12/15/2010 03:38 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 8:00 AM, ailo<ailo.at@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>> I've put up how I got it to work here:
>>> http://delta.brainiac.com/deltasync.html
>>> I run 2 Delta 1010s synced up and it works well for me.
>>>

>> I tried this setup on Puredyne 911 (based on Ubuntu Karmic, but without
>> pulseaudio).
>> I added the suggested lines in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf to get the
>> m-audio cards to load first.
>> I added the ~/.asoundrc with the suggested content.
>
> as has been noted, the order of the cards matters only if you insist
> on referring to them by number. refer to them by name and the problem
> goes away.

In this case I'm trying to load 2 cards with a single interface as
described here: http://delta.brainiac.com/deltasync.html

I'm investigating the way the system is setup (Puredyne 911), whether
alsa reads ~/.asoundrc or not.
It seems to me that the way alsa works and is configured has changed a
bit over the years, so perhaps it will take some tweaking to get this
particular setup to work.

As a footnote, getting puredata to use multiple cards using OSS seems to
work pretty well (I suppose this is a builtin feature for puredata).
After a quick test I did not hear any clicks (don't know if my spdif
sync between the m-audio delta cards is set up right, and I have no way
to tell as of now).

--
ailo