Re: [LAU] Multiple sound cards

From: ailo <ailo.at@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 16 2010 - 13:45:29 EET

On 12/16/2010 09:28 AM, Peter Nelson wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 03:40 +0100, ailo wrote:
>
>> Also, the only method that works for me starting jack is from the
>> command line:
>> jackd -d alsa -C multi_capture -P multi_playback.
>>
>> I'm also wondering about the spdif sync method. In this .asoundrc,
>> digital ins and outs are not dealt with. Isn't this needed in order to
>> sync the cards?
>
> Qjackctl is well behaved there: although it provides device drop downs,
> you can also just type the device names in.
>
> The S/PDIF synchronisation should be provided by the card's hardware and
> settings (envy24control -> Hardware Settings -> Master Clock -> S/PDIF
> in, on one of the cards)

I did this, using a normal audio cable. It seems to work.
At first my changed settings had no effect, since changing spdif
settings on envy24control didn't seem to work while jack was running.

> Peter.
>
> P.S. When someone asks you to type "ls -l ~/.asoundrc", it's rather
> helpful, in a remote diagnostics situation, to just do that instead of
> changing it to "ls -l .asoundrc"

Yes, thank you. Making too many assumptions seems to be a mental disease
of mine. I do try to do things by the letter, or try the simple
solutions first for that matter :). In my defence, I am a musician first
and a Linux enthusiast second.