Re: [LAU] SSD for audio

From: Ray Rashif <schivmeister@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 17 2010 - 16:46:06 EET

On 17 December 2010 22:34, Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 5:22 AM, Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 14:14:48 +0100
>> Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>> I have a little question as well: Can a laptop HD be replaced
>>> with a SSD without trouble
>>
>> A slightly longer answer: Yes, as long as the laptop supports SATA.  I
>> thought I'd replace the drive in my ThinkPad T43, but it uses an older
>> type drive with a very different connector, so obviously that didn't work
>> for me.
>
> I had a Compaq laptop that looked like it had a different connector.
> Turned out that Compaq attaced a different connector to the SATA port
> before inserting it into the machine's drive port. Possibly your
> ThinkPad is similar?

Laptops either have SATA or IDE. Both types of connections are of a
different form factor compared to their 3.5" counterparts. However, on
first look, the SATA one would give you the impression that you can't
just buy another disk and put it in there. That's because there's an
extra attachment to the existing disk that needs to be taken out and
slotted onto the new one.

I don't know whether this has been mentioned yet, but you could get a
CompactFlash card and an adapter to mimic solid state storage. You
have to look out for good performance cards, though. They're much,
much cheaper (inclusive of the cost of the adapter) than a full SSD,
and not so far away in speed.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=compactflash+ssd

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD