Re: [LAU] partition table

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 17 2010 - 17:48:59 EET

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 7:19 AM, rosea.grammostola
<rosea.grammostola@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/17/2010 04:08 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 7:01 AM, rosea.grammostola
>> <rosea.grammostola@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> Do you have a special /home partition? Why or why not?
>>>
>>> Will performance be better if you have a special partition for audio?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> \r
>>>

>> I don't think /home matters much.
>>
>> My /audio partitions are all on different hard drives. Putting audio
>> on the system hard drive in a different partition won't likely make
>> too much of a difference. It's still the same drive.
>>

> Ok, and a special audio disk, you just mount it on /mnt/audio ?

I mount it at /audio but that's just a personal preference.

Actually, I have 3 external audio drives, 1394-based. My system mounts as

/audio/audio1/
/audio/audio2/
/audio/audio3/

Ardour handles the sort of 'RAID' aspects of using the drives
automatically, throwing some audio files on what ever drive it wants
to to balance loading.

My drives are old and therefore slow. They all run around 30-40MB/S
over 1394. I think with a newer system you could use a single
high-speed SATA drive which will get you > 100MB/S on a single drive
and there wouldn't be much value in using the Ardour RAID stuff which
causes the complication of when you want to back up a session you have
to get it from 3 places.

If I did that I'd personally go with a small, fast SATA audio drive,
200-300MB probably, and then build some sort of backup strategy using
rsync. That's what I currently do with VMWare isntances. I have two
500GB drives running RAID0 for speed where I run 4 copies of Windows.
I do daily rsync backups from RAID0 to a 3-drive RAID1for safety. Once
a month I use rsync to backup the RAID1 to a RAID1 on a different
computer. I don't like losing data.

- Mark

- Mark