Re: [LAU] SSD for audio

From: Ray Rashif <schivmeister@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 17 2010 - 19:24:56 EET

On 17 December 2010 23:25, Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Friday 17 December 2010 15:46:06 Ray Rashif wrote:

>> > I had a Compaq laptop that looked like it had a different connector.
>> > Turned out that Compaq attaced a different connector to the SATA port
>> > before inserting it into the machine's drive port. Possibly your
>> > ThinkPad is similar?
>>
>> Laptops either have SATA or IDE. Both types of connections are of a
>> different form factor compared to their 3.5" counterparts.
>
> Nope, sata is sata is sata. Its standard. Not only the shape of the connector
> is the same for all 2.5" and 3.5" disks, the position with respect to the
> lower left edge of the drive (looking at the connector) is the same too.
> Pretty neat for exchanging disks without the need for a tray...
>
> There could be issues when the 3.5" disk wants 12V while the adaptor meant for
> 2.5" disks via usb only has 5V...

Uhmm..I was refering to the fact that you can't put a 3.5 there. You
cannot slot the extra attachment onto the 3.5 and expect to drop it
in. You can, however, plug in the 2.5 to the desktop using the SATA
cables, AFTER you take off the attachment meant for the laptop,
enclosed in a bay/tray.

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD