Re: [LAU] Ardour3

From: Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 21 2010 - 15:54:49 EET

Excerpts from Thomas Vecchione's message of 2010-12-21 14:22:39 +0100:
> For the record, we aren't attacking you, but you are being used as an
> example, it isn't meant to be personal you just happened to bet he
> first one that mailed here about it. You did waste a little bit of
> time, but far less than those that DO come into IRC and say, I built
> this but why isn't this working, to which we go through a long and
> tedious debugging process to only find out they built via a
> build-script or similar and have no idea what actually happened in the
> build process(See my post above, I used to do this so don't think I am
> being mean:), and we have to tell them after having wasted sometimes
> hours of effort the exact same thing you got in the first response;)
>
> Yes this does happen, sadly more often than we would like.
>
> Seablade

Sorry Seablade, but a build script actually documents how it was built,
you have to commands in there, one ofter the other, for your reading
pleasure. The user can throw you a link, you can have a look and
immediately say things like: "oh, that's wrong, you have to build with
internal SLV2 and without VST or you won't get support".
Arch build scripts are a few lines of bash and you don't even need to
know bash to understand them.