Re: [LAU] Ardour3

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 21 2010 - 18:05:18 EET

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Philipp Überbacher
<hollunder@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I spare myself criticism regarding cooperation in the past and the
> increasing tendency to control, but one more thing to think about:
> 'advertising' A3 features on the one hand and trying to preventing
> 'casual' users is contradictory.

to be pedantic, i've taken precisely zero steps to prevent packages
being created, unless you think that me actually speaking out about it
can prevent it. i'm a reasonably good software architect, but i'm not
that powerful :)

my concern is not really for me or other developers, its for users who
get a crappy experience and conclude that a tool that *will*
eventually be useful for them is too buggy for any serious user. i
can't count the pieces of s/w that i've downloaded, found that it
crashes or had a serious bug and simply written it off. at some points
during a program's lifetime, that might be an appropriate reaction.
but before there has even been an alpha release, i don't think its
fair to users to suggest to them that there is an easy or "casual" way
to "try" the program when it is reasonably likely that it doesn't work
for them.

the alternative is for us to do development in secret and i don't
think that this really serves anyone very well.