Re: [LAU] OT: isolating transformers, redux

From: Jeff Sandys <jpsandys@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 21 2010 - 21:35:17 EET

Ken said:

I've been looking around for a 1:1 line level transformer to lift the ground
when connecting the headphone stereo output jack of a laptop or iPod to a
consumer-grade amp that takes a headphone jack input.
All I've been able to find is insanely expensive, like US$200.
But my searches (Jameco, Mouser, DigiKey) aren't turning up anything except
POWER transformers, much larger than what I need.
Can anyone point me to some part numbers and (reasonable) prices for a 1:1
line level transformer?

When you say line level transformer it will lead you to power (line level)
transformers.
I did a search for audio transformers at Mouser and came up with over 100,
some of the pulse brand 1:1 transformers looked like they would do the job
in the $3 to $12 range for single items.
You need to figure out what impedance you what, 50 ohm would probably match
ipod ear buds.
Good luck.