Re: [LAU] Ardour3

From: michael noble <looplog@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 22 2010 - 03:26:48 EET

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 4:43 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> As for me I don't even ask _questions_ about A3. Gentoo pro-audio has
> an ebuild. I build it and play with it. I won't depend on it until 6
> months after you say it's ready. In the meantime it's just something
> for me to play with.

This seems to be one of the more sensible contributions here. The argument
seems to be getting reduced to two kinds of people - those who are savvy
enough or have enough time to SVN build with a full debugging toolkit and
apparently morons who would use a bleeding edge package and be incapable of
differentiating it from a finished product - which is at best a false
dichotomy and at worst a not so veiled insult to those who fit neither
category.

I really dig ardour and I have faith that A3 will be a fantastic piece of
software. I paid a subscription (though it recently lapsed) as much to use
ardour2.x as in anticipation and support of ardour3.x. My anticipation comes
equally from the fact that I've tried it out, and that Paul has been
releasing teasers and responses to bugs in A2.x that it's all coming in A3 -
some day! That's cool, I'm a patient guy, and really, I don't have an
overpowering sense of entitlement in this situation. I get it that A3 is so
far from finished (and was a little surprised at the CDM article that seemed
to declare it almost done). But I, and I suspect many others, check in from
time to time to see the state of things.

I totally see Paul's concern, especially if mailing lists and forums get
littered with a trail of bug reports that should be in mantis, potentially
tainting the public image of a future product that is also potentially
Paul's future livelihood. But the implication that my building A3 from svn
will give some deeper understanding of the fluxness of things than if I
choose to install a package because I have a spare fifteen minutes on a
Sunday and want to check out the progress of software that I have a great
desire to see succeed, is quite frankly, absurd.

All that being said, merry Christmas or happy holidays or bah humbug,
whichever suits.

-Michael, from that subset of linux users that enjoys trying bleeding edge
packages of many different software projects and doesn't cry if he gets cut
from time to time.