[LAU] seeking "fresh" way to process/shape human whisper in real-time

From: <ico@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 22 2010 - 21:37:23 EET

Hi all,

I've been battling a kind of a dsp-writer's-block as of late. Namely, I am
dealing with a project where (at least as of right now) I would like to explore
human whisper and its percussive/rhythmic power. This would take place in an
ensemble of "voices." I am also looking to combine whisper with some sort of
DSP. Obviously vocoder comes as one of the obvious choices but it sounds IMHO
cliche and as a result I would like to avoid it as much as possible (unless I
can somehow come up with a cool spin on it which I haven't yet). I also tried
amp mod, additive, filtering, etc., but none of these struck me as something
interesting. I do think delays will be fine in terms of "punctuating" the
overall pattern but I think this should take place at the end of the DSP chain.
Granular synthesis is also a consideration but I've done so much of it over the
past years I am hoping to do something different.

So, as of right now I have:

1) whisper
2) ???
3) delays
4) profit! :-)

Given the mental constipation I have been battling particularly over the past
couple of days, I wanted to turn to you my fellow LA* enthusiasts for some
thoughts/ideas/inspiration. Your help would be most appreciated and I will
gladly credit your ideas in the final piece.

Many thanks!

Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A.
Composition, Music Technology
Director, DISIS Interactive Sound and Intermedia Studio
Assistant Co-Director, CCTAD
CHCI, CS, and Art (by courtesy)
Virginia Tech
Department of Music