Re: [LAU] Batch normalising wav files

From: Q <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 24 2010 - 17:51:51 EET

Hi Julien!

Thanks for that, I might install those and give it a go.

Searching the net, there are many tools which say they normalise things
but it turns out they're really intended for replay gain adjustments of
recorded music -- it's possible they would normalise to a user-specified
figure but I wouldn't lay money on it. Something from the audio
(recording) ecosystem, like Eca, is what I was looking for.

As I understand it (i.e. from reading Katz) dB is meaningless without an
indication of the reference point to which the ratio refers. In the
analogue domain you get dBu and dBm with their own reference points.

In the digital domain that reference is the maximum encodable level,
full scale, which is denoted as 0, hence everything is minus some level
dBFS. I would have thought that for a program like Ecasound dB would
have been (a lazy) shorthand for dBFS.

Thanks again