Re: [LAU] upwards compression

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 25 2010 - 17:36:25 EET

On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Fabio <capoeirista@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Em Sat, 25 Dec 2010 14:41:19 +0000
> Q <lists@email-addr-hidden> escreveu:
>
>> Fabio wrote:
>> > there doesn't seam to exist any compressor/plugin for Linux that
>> > does it?
>> >

>> Well it's easy enough to set up in Ardour using a bus and a regular
>> compressor. I expect it should be easy enough in other software.

> how you do that? none of the compressors i checked has ability to use
> negative ratio.
> upwards compression means it elevates volumes below threshold instead
> of the "opposite"(lack of word) in normal compression

A bit wonky but:

1) Find some compressor code and do some mods, or

2) Maybe do it mathematically. Original wave file - compressed wave
file = new interesting wave file?

I do #2 all the time with stock market data. Seems like you should be
able to do it with sound data in sox or something.

Cheers,
Mark