Re: [LAU] Batch conversion from Apple AAC to mp3?

From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 28 2010 - 01:36:35 EET

On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 08:12:03AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Lots to think about. Basically, I have a Roku Netflix player that has
> a special plugin that will stream my iTunes library to the home
> theater system. Problem is there isn't an AAC decoder on the Roku so
> currently it only works for mp3 or (I think) wave files. If I can
> convert the library correctly then the family can listen to my library
> instead of just me.
>
> Problem is I think the tags have to be retained or iTunes isn't going
> to tell the Roku what the songs are called, etc.
>
> Time to maybe create a small library copy and do some scripting based
> on your inputs. Thanks!

I don't know how this would play out w.r.t. tags, but MP3FS, which is a
FUSE filesystem, seems rather appropriate for this sort of
circumstance. It does on the fly transcoding.

Having mentioned, I figured I'd look it up again to see how much chance
it has of being appropriate here. Alas, it appears to be dedicated to
FLAC->MP3. Too bad it can't just work with anything that ffmpeg can
read, as well as do proper tag conversion.

Still, maybe someone is looking for a project.