Re: [LAU] OT: isolating transformers, redux

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 28 2010 - 12:35:47 EET

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 07:49:26AM +0000, Folderol wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 22:10:07 -0800
> Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > Jensen has some really good application papers talking about audio
> > transformers. By induction, one might get an idea of why they cost so
> > much -- same reason why other "pro" stuff with a reputable name also
> > costs a lot.
>
> <snip>
>
> I think some people are totally missing the point. The O/P has already said he
> doesn't want to spend a lot of money as the kit he's connecting to is only of
> moderate quality.
>
> I don't know if the links I suggested to Ken are any good (whether he's able to
> buy from those people) but I asked 'someone who knows'(tm) about these things
> and was told that the 'Oxford' transformers are more than adequate for the job.

Thanks!

Yes, I obtained a pair of cheap telephone isolating transformers from Radio Shack. And it works! Yay! US$8 total.

It is indeed specced for 300-5000Hz, but it seems pretty flat when run with a short (1 foot or so) wire. But, I'm noticing a lot of high-end rolloff with a 20-foot wire. Are there any components I could add to combat this?

Since I have the magic of JAPA handy, perhaps I'll actually measure its frequency response. Nice to have great (free) tools available for this stuff.

-ken